[ SHOWGSD-L ] Wisconsin is considering legalizing cat hunting...

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Danannkennel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:53:23 -0700

Wisconsin is considering legalizing cat hunting...

 This is  not hunting........plain and simple this is murder.
 Barbara Galasso

 Barbara
I am not meaning to challenge you I don't condone shooting cats  either but
what is your solution.  I have lived on a farm for the last 40  years.  We
have so many wild cats show up it is awful - they are totally  wild , always
pregnant  and many times diseased.

Sally

Paul adds...

No one wants to see any animal killed. That said...there are times when
"predator control" is necessary to maintain a natural balance.

In the 20 + years I have been involved with the ARO's, I have had the
opportunity to work with the Cat Fanciers Association. This group is cutting
edge and it is their info that 70% of the problem in animal population are
feral cats. A Queen cat can be nursing a litter of kittens and get pregnant
at the same time. CFA has developed some great ideas to deal with the feral
situation like the introduction of neutered "Dominant Tom"into a feral
colony. It works fairly well but the problem in Wisconsin is beyond that. I
have been told that although they wished there was another way, the CFA
endorses the proposal to bring the situation under control. A feral colony
can  unbalance an eco system and decimate an area very quickly.

In California we have a group called Maddie's Fund that supports a group of
Vets that will spay and neuter feral colonies. It works very well but is
incredibly expensive. We are lucky Maddie's Fund is a multi million dollar
foundation.

I too, wish there was another way. Wisconsin needs an Angel like Maddie's
Fund and that may happen. Until then, there needs to be an eco-balance and
this action is one way to achieve it. In the Animal Rights Agenda, plank 5
is...Abolish all pesticides and any form of predator control. The situation
in Wisconsin shows how that will never work. Feral colonies have very few
predators. As their numbers increase, they continue to multiply while any of
the natural predators cannot maintain a balance. As a matter of fact, feral
colonies become the major predator in the eco system and can decimate the
rodent and small bird populations to a point they interrupt the natural
balance of those lesser animals and insects the rodent and bird population
would regularly control.

While it isn't the best solution...based on the urgency of the situation it
is necessary one.

Paul