[ SHOWGSD-L ] Why People Don't Show

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:10:55 -0700

Most depressing day.........
Peggy posts...

Anne is exactly right.  Her last comment is exactly why more new people
aren't coming into the breed, at least not people who want to show at
specialties...they run right into that snotty attitude - "if you can't pay
the freight, stay away, you won't ever have a good one," etc.

Paul adds...

While these comment are very true...they aren't any different than what we
heard from others when we got into it in 1981. No...that's not true because
we heard it from more people then than there are now.

People can be and are very hateful sometimes. I remember once at a DVGSDC
Board meeting there was a member who wanted Jenn to be the Show Chairman.
Jenn said she wanted to show our dogs and this person said "Why...the Judge
won't like your dogs anyway!" Ouch.

Any sport is subject to the same kinds of problems. It's human nature. We
invent excuses why we lose. Crooked Judges are a favorite and we "could"
have offered to be the Show Chair as while the way she said it was
wrong...she was right and that Judge did not like our dogs. That was the
beginning in learning what Judge's like and are likely to put up. Not
who...but what. Then you let your dogs do your talking for you. We have
always based our ideas of success on what they've done...not who they are.
Many times both are true.

Years ago Jenn coined a phrase that has proven so true. She says..."I'm used
to our friends not liking each other." We base friendships on a 2 on 2 so to
speak. In other words what occurs between us and the people in question.
Often...friends we have a good relationship with don't like each other. That
does not affect "our" relationship tho...nor should it. We don't listen to
the 3rd party BS and let things go as they will. We have been very fortunate
to have developed some great friendships in a 25 + year stint in dogs.

Mentors are a great thing. We've been so fortunate to have to have had
several. Russ & Beryl Shim, Bob & Nadine Grady, Manny & Diane Garcia, and
Cappy & Gloria to name but a few. That said...it's what you produce from
what you learn that is the most important part of any breeding program. Too
many listen but they do not hear. They see but then they don't turn what
they've seen into tangible success. A mentor is only as good as what those
they are mentoring do with the information. We've known exhibitors for 20
years who don't take mentoring info to heart and have little to show for it.

Handlers charging too much is relative. Handlers have a talent most of us
don't have. If YOU have that talent you will win with a GOOD dog. Our breed
is kind of unique as we tend to gait the dogs more that other breeds. It's
harder on legs and bodies and most handlers keep themselves fitter that "we"
as I say. But...if you can justify the expense for success it is relative.
If not...can you justify putting yourself into that kind of shape to be able
to perform as the handlers do? If you can and have good dogs you will win. A
perfect example is Steve Grainger. He has a real job but handles well. He
also has good dogs that win. I don't think he gets money but if he does he's
worth every penny. Talent + Quality = Success. None of the parts of that
equation come easily.

We love the dogs, the sport, and the people. We've taken it from a hobby, to
an avocation, to a vocation. Our success has driven us and has been worth
the effort. To anyone who's thinking about the sport...and all of its many
venues...the T + Q = S formula is a proven means to success. All of the
other BS we discuss is just that BS.

Paul