[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Why People Don't Show

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RivendellP <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 14:29:28 -0400

    Sorry, Paul, but you're wrong.  In 1981 people didn't have the
performance venues that exist now...where they don't need a handler, but
can do it themselves.  If you look at how Rally and Agility have grown
vs. how the breed ring (both all breed and specialty rings) entries have
declined, you will see that people still come into the sport...but they
don't want to throw their money away when they are discouraged from the
get go...they have other venues open to them where they are met with
open arms and encouraged.
    And for anyone who thinks that there aren't a lot of really
wonderful dogs who don't get shown because there is no handler
available, or because there's one available but the dog's owner can't
afford it, I say "come down, come down, from your ivory tower."  Saying
that you can't get a good dog if you can't pay the freight was a snotty
comment, not to mention an untrue one...and I don't see where you've
shown that to be true.  It has nothing to do with winning or losing.  It
has to do (for one thing) with having fun...and some people don't want
to keep butting their heads against a wall to be accepted...they can
move to another venue and be welcomed right off the bat...money or not.
    And not one word of what I wrote is BS.
Peggy