[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Who do we think we are?

  • From: "fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ELG440@xxxxxxx" <ELG440@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 14:17:38 -0400

Hi Evan;
I do agree with what you say, but we as Clubs are the AKC as they are "The Club
of Clubs". What many are concerned and upset about was that there was no
discussion with the fancy or the Delegate body with a full explanation of why
this is necessary and why it takes 2-3M a year to run the Judges Department.
Reminds me of the Pet land issue were they were not pro active in explaining
the reasoning
as to way they wanted to sign a contract with them. From what I am seeing and
hearing, I really think that the Board will find it necessary
to revisit this decision. Right now over 1500 people have signed up on A FB
group to show their dissatisfaction with the Judges Maintenance Fee, it is
Judges, Exhibitors and Handlers.

One Delegate just  posted that they are out of touch with the fancy and were
others companies are looking to cut costs, they have
save money, but they could save more. The NYC offices are a big thorn in many
people's side as they feel a big cost savings if all offices were moved to NC.

One thing we all have forgotten is that we all wanted them to do something
about the "Puppy Mills" when they initiated the DNA
frequent sire program and the inspections. This when the 20 something other
registries were started my the Commercial Breeders
who wanted nothing to do with AKC's DNA and inspections of their kennels or
records, this is one very big reason the registrations have fallen.
Registration money was really the true earnings of the AKC and now, that are
about half of what they were before I believe
it was around 1992 that this program started. What the old saying, "be careful
what you wish for" !

But you are absolutely right that we all chose to participate in AKC venue for
showing our dogs and it is a business. We run my AB
Club as a business, because if we did not we would not be able to continue to
put on 2 wonderful shows a year. We are looking at
other ways to raise money, to help with additional costs, so that we do not
have to raise entry fees. We all exhibit and we know what
we pay in entry and travel to shows, so we are trying to keep the exhibitor in
mind, as no exhibitors, no show.

Cathy
Kelstar