[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: White Spotting Gene

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 03:00:07 -0600

Though I'm not Penny (! ;)
From the LR standard:  "A small white spot on the chest is permissible but
Not desirable"

And that's why LRs are always solid colored! It is NOT desirable, though
allowed to get into the ring so both breeders and judges select against it.
I imagine it is easier in a dog whose color is determined by having
dominant blacK than being able to express their Agouti series as in our
GSDs. Dominant blacK hides all except Epistatic (mmmm shall we call it
"clear" aka lack of pigment) yellow (or white in GSDs), which hides those
clear/white spots too!
And of course, black in our breed is from the most recessive of the Agouti
locus genes, causing self color, therefore allowing for the spots (or
patches in some cases) to be expressed.

:)

Jen P & her Pack wearing her nerd hat

On Thursday, January 22, 2015, Kathy Partch <kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I suppose it would be – I’m still trying to learn all of this myself. But
> I remember my purebred Can. gray Timber wolf having this on his chest. My
> wonderful pigmented blk/tn didn’t have this spot. I have a friend in MN who
> has a very well bred blk GSD with a huge white chest that looks just
> horrible on that dark coat! I just read on line that the breeders don’t
> want this on their Lab’s at all. Is this true Penny? Can we believe
> everything we read on line – maybe not [sigh] Kathy www.JoKaySedona.com
>
> http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/white.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Msg: #2 in digest
> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 18:55:34 -0700
> Subject: Re: White Spotting Gene
> From: Terry Cochran <tinky91147@xxxxxxxxx <javascript:;>>
>
> Hi Kathy would this be consider a marking ?
> Terry
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 9:22 AM, Kathy Partch <kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> >The white spotting on the chests of our dogs is a totally separate
> > spotting gene. If you’ve ever noticed, wolves have the same thing on
> their chests.
> >
> Kathy Partch www.JoKaySedona.com <http://www.jokaysedona.com/>
>
> ------------------------------
>

> POST is Copyrighted 2015.  All material remains the property of the
> original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS
> of any kind are permitted without prior permission of both the original
> author AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
>
> Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group
> and its administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
> expressed in any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

> PROSECUTED.

> <javascript:;>

> http://showgsd.org/mail.html

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911 Canine Consulting
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!
www.jaydeesphs.com

Support the next generation's stewards in the sport of dogs... Donate to
the German Shepherd Dog Youth Recognition Fund!
www.dogshowjuniors.com