[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Which color will dominate?

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 16:09:02 -0700 (PDT)

This was an excellent post on coat color inheritance in GSDs...I would add that
the sex characteristic gene "y" for boys and "x" for girls, the 50/50 chance is
really not quite 50/50...the "y" sperms are faster than the "x" sperms....but
the "x" sperms are a little stronger than the "y"s.....years ago there were 104
males born for every 100 females.....Ed
cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:   Penny writes:

When I bred a Lamar daughter (who was sable) to Cheri Hunt's CH Mikey
(who is sable, I got 50% sable, 50% black and tans. That means that
one or the other (or both?) are not homozygous for sables, right?
Wrong? What?

The only way you can get anything other than sables when breeding a sable to
a sable is when BOTH parents are *not* homozygous for sable.

If one parent is homozygous for sable, it doesn't matter if the other sable
parent is homozygous or not - ALL the pups will be sable.

Now here's something that can get confusing - proving a sable dog is
homozygous for sable. If you breed two sable dogs and all the pups are
sable, this does *not* prove that either parent is homozygous for sable.
Nor does breeding a sable to a non-sable and getting all sable pups prove a
dog is homozygous.

Same thing goes for proving a dog carries the black gene... If you breed a
dog you suspect carries the black gene to a solid black and a black pup is
produced, the dog does indeed carry the black gene. However, if there are
no black pups, this doesn't prove the dog is not black factored. It could
mean the black gene just wasn't expressed in that particular litter.

The thing to remember about genetics is that the "rules" of inheritance are
governed by statistical probabilities. Nothing more. For example...
Although a woman has a 50% chance of conceiving a girl, my brother-in-law
and his wife had 11 boys, no girls. And my mother-in-law had 7 boys, no
girls. (They were all red-headed too! )

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherd Dogs
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam