[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Weirdest thing!!!

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <scotties@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 22:57:41 -0400

Hi Giselda,
I had a GSD who went spread-eagle when he slipped on a tile floor
and he couldn't walk at all for about a week.  He was put on Rimadyl
and prednisone for 10 days and recovered completely.  I think he was
6 or 7 when this happened and he lived to be 12 with no problems.

Right now, I suspect your boy's in some pain and that's why he's not
acting his usual self.  After a couple weeks or so, if your boy
isn't back to his old self, there's a chance he could have ruptured
a disk.

Re. ticks...  I had a Collie who suffered tick paralysis twice.  The
first time, the paralysis spread from his rear to his forehand.  The
second time, he was paralyzed in the rear only.   He also salivated
heavily and couldn't bark because the muscles around his neck were
affected.  He experienced no pain at all.

I agree with your vet...  It doesn't sound like your dog is
suffering from tick paralysis.

I hope your boy feels better soon.

Paulette McGuirt
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam