[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: WHY will it pass .....?

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "barbara17236@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 10:04:07 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, they do but wouldn't it be smarter to have a large gene pool?  Not make
the gene pool smaller?

Health testing only goes so far.  Honesty is also needed in any breeding
program.  If you have health tested dogs, who are producing health issues, you
need to talk about it, and change things.

And, breeders, regardless of the breed, need to put health first in their
breedings; not ribbons, trophies, stud fees or puppy sales.   When you have
breeders, knowingly, breeding dogs who produce a health issue, the breed
suffers in the end.

Just say NO to producing health issues.   If your dog/bitch produces EPI, stop
breeding the dog/bitch.   Or, produces PF, etc.   And, why on Earth, any sane
breeder would double and triple up on these animals is a mystery to me.    S T
U P I D.

Barb Hively - PA
DNA.  It's what makes a white, a German Shepherd

 Date: Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 8:39 AM

 Hi all:

 I have not been able to access my AOL account since
 last week, so I am trying to catch up on posts.

 Breed Separation -  The GSDCA must agree to this
 first.  AWSA needs a letter.

 Next, the GSDCA must agree to allow AKC to OPEN the
 CLOSED GSD stud books so that those white owners, who want
 to separate, can have their whites removed from the GSD stud
 books.   FYI - I have been corresponding with AKC for a
 couple of weeks now on the separation issue.

 ONLY those owners, wanting breed separation, will
 remove their whites from the GSD stud books.  BTW - AWSA
 did state, in their extended GSD Review ad, that
 "foundation stock would be compromised of imported
 (FCI) BBS/WSS and UKC WHITE SHEPHERDS.   The WGSDCII and
 WGSDCA whites must be UKC GERMAN SHEPHERDS, so we would NOT
 be included in the NEW AKC breed BBS/WSS.

 Those of us, who do not want breed separation, will
 remain as AKC German Shepherds, and will still breed AKC
 German Shepherds.  If the vote fails, our whites will still
 be GSD breed standard DQ, and we will continue to show in
 the venues we are permitted to show in.

 Why do some NOT want breed separation?    I can only
 speak for myself, and my fellow breeders who have discussed
 this with me.  1.  The gene pool is too small for our
 whites to grow, and become healthy for many, many years to
 come.  AWSA disagrees, stating that there are so many
 whites, in other countries,  to be tapped into for new
 blood.  Not true.  Most of the whites, in other countries,
 came from mainly 6 bloodlines/breeder in the U.S. and Canada
 starting back in the late 70s.  So, essentially, those
 foreign breeders have been breeding the same bloodlines as
 we have, just under different kennel names.  Where is all
 the "new" blood at?  Yes, there are some totally
 unrelated WS/BBS bloodlines out there, but not enough, IMO.
   And, at the rate that those BBS breeders are using
 American WS studs, who produce EPI and PF, those BBS dogs
 are going to be in a world of trouble in no time, IMO.
  Where will the WS and BBS go after that?  No, whites are
 not immune to the typical GSD health issues.

 2.  We (WGSDCI / WGSDCA) want our whites to look and
 move like "today's" German Shepherds, not the
 GSD of the "early" years.  The AWSA and UKC WS
 Breed standard goes against this.  They want a white who
 resembles the "old" type of GSD; very little
 angulation, more square,  etc.   They (WS/BBS breeders)
 hate "today's GSD. My group has worked very hard to
 incorporate colored GSDs, and produce whites closer to
 "today's" GSDs.   We are at the other end of
 the spectrum from what the WS breed separation folks want in
 a white dog.

 3.   The folks, from the two different groups, could
 never get along, or agree on anything.   So, that is a huge
 factor, IMO.

 So, just separating us out, from your colored GSDs, is
 not the answer either.

 I say let the GSDCA membership vote, and let the chips
 fall where they may.  At the end of the day, we will ALL
 still love our dogs.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html