[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: WARNING on flea and tick products........

  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 16:24:34 -0400

On Sun, 24 May 2009 11:20:03 -0400, Barbara Galasso
<uwish@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>For those of you who don't use flea and tick products,
>how do you protect your dogs?

We don't do anything. We don't have problems with bugs.

Of course, that said, this has been a pretty bad year for
ticks so far. I've picked quite a few of the nasty little
buggers off the setter's face and ears but none from the
GSD. For some strange reason, ticks don't seem to care
much for her. (I've heard they tend to go for
lighter-colored dogs... whatever!) But anyway, since it
was a particularly bad year, I made hubby go out and spray
the perimeter of the yard and all around the immediate
area of the house (foundation and under the deck mostly)
with Permethrin. Since then, I've not seen much of a
problem. I feel that the key is to check the dogs over at
least once daily and keep them as healthy as possible by
feeding them a species-appropriate diet. A little ACV,
salmon oil and garlic added to their food couldn't hurt.
The rest will tend to take care of itself.

For those who'd like to try it, I've heard that if you mix
up some Listerine and water in a spray bottle and spray it
around your doors and windows, it will kill biting flies
and keep mosquitoes away. I guess if you used a *really*
dilute solution, you could try spraying that onto the
dogs' coats and see if it helps.  <shrugs>

Another thing that is quite good is to steep citrus peels
from several fruits in boiling water, let that cool and
use that to spray on the dogs. Citrus oil is what they
made d-limonene out of once upon a time, and that used to
be my favorite shampoo/spray/dip chemical of choice back
when I still used chemicals on the dogs.

Hope this is helpful...

--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx