[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: This is gonna get me in Trouble - ONE BREED?

  • From: "MelanaGSD" <melanagsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 05:32:02 -0500

The knee jerk response does not stem from elitism.  It an automatic response
to YEARS and YEARS of the breeders & exhibitors of American show line German
Shepherds being subjected to non-stop criticism and accusations of "ruining
the breed" and their dogs being called  "inferior freaks" "those are not
REAL German Shepherds" on every other GSD list or bulletin board.  We
couldn't post or communicate about showing and breeding our American dogs
without someone who doesn't have or show AKC style jumping in the middle and
shoving the "breeding Untitled dogs is wrong" crap down our throat and "our
dogs have to be titled and breed surveyed first and anything less is a puppy
mill" blah blah blah.

99% of the time if someone says "my American bred/line dog" on this list
they are the people who also have German or prefer German dogs or styles
venues.  The majority of the people on this list rarely say "my American
bred dog won a major today" so WE are not the ones pointing out the seperate
heritage factor.  People insist it shouldn't be about German and American
but rather one breed participating in the AKC venues, and I agree, but if
that is truly so why do the winning brags ALWAYS have to emphasize that the
dog isn't all American lines?   If it's just about ONE BREED enjoying the
same venue - AKC/CKC showing - the fact that it's American, German, or the
combination of both should not even be a factor.  And the litter brags would
not SUBTLY IMPLY "oh these are so much better, stronger and healthier then
those all American litters out there" so if we all honestly want this to be
about ONE BREED - I challenge all of you to leave the words GERMAN out of
any brag, post, or story - other then in the context of the GERMAN SHEPHERD
DOG - and I'm willing to bet that the German/American war threads will
become nearly non-existent.

JMO!
Melissa