[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The White Shepherd

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: Karmasreva@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 18:44:15 EDT

_Karmasreva@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Karmasreva@xxxxxxx)  writes:
>" They branched off from us  years ago, they have truly become a
> different breed. Conformationally, they  don't look like us, they  have
different
> genetic problems than us, they work  differently  from our dogs. They are
no
> longer German Shepherds. "

Seems I've heard those words from some people in the SV regarding
AKC/CKC conformation GSD's!

As others pointed out, not all white GSD owners and breeders want  to
become a separate breed.  If they are no longer recognized as  GSD's,
they cannot compete in the GSD National or specialties and they can
no longer compete in any AKC events until (and if!) they  gain
AKC recognition.  They wouldn't be able to even get an ILP  number,
since they would need to be an AKC breed for that.  They also  couldn't
breed to non-white GSD's, so the gene pool would become  closed.

Those who are 'this close' to OTCH or other performance  championship
titles would lose the points and titles they've already  gained.

While one faction may be ok with all that, they aren't the only  ones
who would be impacted.  It's not exactly the win-win situation  some
people are painting it to be!

JMO,

Janice