[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The National

  • From: Shofar Shepherds <shofar_k9s@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:52:10 -0700 (PDT)

What Lee said, 'cause I've been thinking it but Lee said it better.
I will be part of the pity party again.  This time, not only because I am not
at the National watching my favorite breed, but because I'm watching my 14 3/4
year old, best bud's  progressive spinal deterioration and trying to decide if
it's time.  On her good days, she greets me at the door with her ball in her
mouth, and will fetch the rolled ball a few feet a couple of times before
getting tired.  On her bad days she can't get up from a down. On those bad
days, I reach for the phone but then she rallies and gives me a look that dares
me make that last appointment with the vet.  It's clear she is confused about
why she can't do all the athletic things she has always done her whole life,
but she hasn't given up yet.  The heart of the German Shepherd.

She's had a dead tail for a while because of this problem.  Tonight I noticed
that she actually has developed a hole in her tail, about three inches below
where it connects to the back.  It is oozing blood.  It wasn't there a few days
ago when I groomed her. I have treated it and will take her to the vet first
thing tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something
like this with their senior dog?

Maybe I'll see youse guys (had to slip in the NewYawkism) next year....

Leslye Morrow
Member GSDCA
Shofar Shepherds and Shelties