[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Taking dogs back

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:57:10 -0500 (EST)

I have taken dogs back, and they are still with me.  I am now over-dogged and
can't breed again until I place them.  But, I would do it again.  I have also
had a situation where I couldn't take a dog back as I had no room.  I tried to
help them with training and containing the dog when she wasn't supervised.  She
has a high prey drive and would chase joggers and bicyclists.  They didn't want
to change their lifestyle or put in the time.  I had them take her to a couple
adoption events and she was adopted by a wonderful family.

I also had a situation where the puppy buyers picked the biggest pup in the
litter, wanted the ginormous GSD they had as a child.  He got big, fast and
they provided no training (8 wks of training are offered free for puppy buyers)
and then accused the dog of bad temperament and being a bully to their 4-yr old
son.  I had my 5yr-old neighbor girl work with him when I got him back.  This
dog was the sweetest dog ever.  I posted that all before.  Bottom line, this
dog now lives as a spoiled rotten house dog with 2 chihuahua's and a teenage
kid and very active household.  He is walked daily and is welcomed by the
neighbors and can go anywhere and be an awesome Ambassador of the breed.  I'm
glad I took him back even though it became a major issue.

I guess it all depends on the situation.  But, I would never turn my back on
any of my pups.  If I can't take one back, I will work with the owner to get
the dog re-homed.  I don't breed often so maybe it's different for
biggerbreeders.  But, I do feel I brought these pups into this life so I have
some responsibility to make sure they are taken care of for life.

Laura Thomas