[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Speaking of male dogs/Keeping a male? - long

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx, GSD <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:16:30 -0700 (PDT)

I understand why you want to keep him...he's very nice. :o)

  I was in exactly situation you are in 3 years ago.  I kept a bitch and a male
out of one litter.  I wasn't planning on keeping the male but he was absolutely
stunning just this big huggable bear.  I've always been partial to females but
everyone had always told me males were better...more lovable...loyal.  So I
kept him.

  As it turned out...he was all those things everyone told me he would be...an
absolute wonderful dog.....he got his first major at six months of age.....the
girls didn't pick on him and he didn't pick on the girls and he loved me more
than any of the bitches did.

  Unfortunately all that changed when he was about a year and a half.  I was
warned that the females in the house would beat him down and it was something I
would need to watch....but that isn't what happened.  Instead he turned to
terrorizing them.  Not in the sense that he attacked them..he just wouldn't
leave them alone..constantly pounding on them in the yard so that it got to the
point that no one wanted to go out with him.

  The other issue I had was that he hated the neighbors St Bernard.  They would
fence fight endlessly.  This was his house and his girls and he didn't want any
other male dog around.  He was also very destructive.  He wanted to be in the
house with me...so he took to tearing the siding off the house around the back
door.

  The most obvious problem was dealing with the heat cycles.  When a bitch came
in season even if she wasn't ready to be bred, he would start
marking.....everywhere she went...sat...he would mark.  Then there would be the
howling....when she was ready to be bred he would howl all night....I took to
putting him out in the van so the house could get some sleep.  He also
destroyed absolutely every kennel door that I have trying to get out to the
bitches.  And then there is nothing like that sinking gut feeling when you
realize that you've accidently put him outside before you brought the bitch in
season back into the house....no accidental breedings...but it was close.

  Two months ago I placed him in a wonderful pet home with no other dogs...he's
the king of the house and I can see him whenever I want.  Peace at
last....pease at last.

  All of that said, I'm sure there are many that can find fault with how I
handled the various situations...and my experience won't necessarily be yours.
I know many people keep their males in the house and the females outside.....so
that is one solution...though it doesn't sound like one that would work for you.

  I also see this as sort of like childbirth...after awhile you forget about
all the pain and start planning another child.....I find myself thinking about
getting another male again one that isn't a brother or son to my bitches so I
can eliminate the worry if there is an accidental breeding.....maybe I'm just a
masochist at heart.

  Cindy

Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I hope everyone will respond to the list on Tina's question below. This is
very interesting to me, as is the "male problem" thread. I am considering
keeping my first male. He is 3 mo old today. Since I also have two young
bitches, this seems like a disaster waiting to happen! I have owned and raised
many bitches. Normally, I would not keep a male. But, he's nice! What to do and
how to do it? I've thought about a co-owner, but he has worked his way on me! I
have a small house and yard and a couple of runs. Could it be as simple as
taking down an apple tree, putting a third run in its place, boarding him when
the bitches are in season, and hoping the neighbors don't report me to the City
for having too many dogs? Moving is not an option for two years. It sounds a
little crazy. But, he's nice! What would you do?

Zoa
Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockshepherds.com