[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Speaking of male dogs/Keeping a male? - long

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:25:26 EDT

I have kept males, intact males, together.  In and out of the house, I  am
The Boss. It is never a problem. Going outside, the older male goes first,  and
he lets the other male/males out.

Right now I am on my laptop, and they are both sleeping in the living room
floor.  Earlier the UPS guy knocked on the front door, TJ goes first, and
Dexter stands behind TJ, imitating his behavior.  That's why I love old  dogs.
They make my life so much easier. <G>

So far so good. I am very vigilant, and we have had 2 or more males for a
long time now, at one point we had 4, living together. It just worked that way.

Buster and TJ ran outside together one time, and they got into an argument,
lots of growling and hairs up their backs.  I told them they would find
themselves neutered in a second flat if they even took one step toward each
other,
I said this not nicely and in a very guttural voice.  They thought  better
about it.  We didn't have a fight.

The best alpha dog we had was a bitch, Capi. If anyone got out of  line, she
would let them have it, and she was brutal about it. Trust me, they  preferred
my corrections.  She also taught the males not to waste time  with bitches in
heat that were not ready. Lo and behold, my males paid no  attention to
bitches in heat until they were ready. No going out of food, no  constant
howling.

Now TJ and Dexter, well, Dexter thinks TJ walks on water. He sleeps next to
the Old Man. TJ gets fed first, he goes out first, and we have no problems.
Add  rescue males that come in for a short time.  And bitches in heat.  No
problems so far. Dexter is now 8 months, and likes to test his  boundaries, but
TJ
is very no nonsense and we are always around. The dogs sort  out who is in
charge. I just keep the order.

If the male was that nice, I would keep him. I am very comfortable handling
strong dogs. We let them know, daily, what their place is. Firmly, not
cruelly.  I believe that to be the best kind of positive reinforcement.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

Ileana