[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sorta shocking

  • From: "Cynthia Van Den Berge" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "vande001@yahoo" for DMARC)
  • To: "<showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 08:40:38 -0500

I belong to a local IPO club. It a mix of breeds but most are GSDs.
Occasionally I mention something related to conformation, specialty shows or
the parent Club. It shocks me that these folks know nothing about the above
and couldn't care less it seems. Just yesterday a guy who has two shepherds
and puts a lot of time into working them mentioned that he was headed to Purina
in late October for some trial. I asked why he didn't go to the National ( he
is retired and has plenty of $$). His dog is a good worker and he could
potentially do pretty well. He didn't know what I was even talking about. Had
no clue what a National was or anything about the parent club. He is not
alone....that seems to be the attitude of every GSD owner in the club. Why is
that? When I got my first shepherd in the early 70s, even though he was a pet,
I wanted, was hungry, to learn everything about the breed. Like many, I
started him in obedience, joined a local club (GSDC of Atlanta) learned a lot
and the story goes on. Why am I not seeing this with my friends? We have a
local club (GSDC of Memphis) who would love to have them and would work to
include them in activities and provide things that would interest them.
One thing, our IPO club training director is a working line breeder and hates
all things American...so, I am sure her attitude rubs off. Many of the club
members have bought dogs from her (including me). It just frustrates me that
here are at least 6 people who are deeply involved with their dogs, but have no
desire to learn more about the breed. What to do? Cynthia

Sent from my
is Copyrighted 2015. All material remains the property of the original author
permitted without prior permission of both the original author AND of the

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post. This group and its
any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html