[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Small Dog Needed

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:57:22 -0500

    I'll tell you a breed that is just wonderful, and no one has
mentioned it yet.  If you can get used to their funny frog faces, I'm a
big fan of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.  Of course, that is a breed
that packs more muscle per square inch than any other breed...and while
there are those who want to call them pit bulls, all I can say is
PUHLEEEZE!  Staffies are small, short haired, clean by nature, come in a
variety of colors, andare very, very people oriented.  Most are natural
clowns...and they are known to be super with children and old people.
They get along with other dogs so long as they are trained
properly...cats, well, I think cats are considered fair game.  Most
Staffies wouldn't think of starting a fight...but they can sure finish
one, even against dogs much larger than they themselves are.
    The biggest problem with having a Staffie would be the pure strength
of the dog.  If you have trouble holding a Shepherd that wants to go
somewhere else, you can't hold a Staffie, either.  Or, if you think
you're in for a relaxed evening in your favorite chair before the TV,
you have to be prepared to have a 40 pound package of solid muscle
landing on your chest from somewhere else in the room...on the fly, with
no warning...I imagine that would be a shock to anyone.  On the other
hand, it is easy to get a good one from any of a dozen reputable
breeders across the country (do your homework first, tho)...and you only
have to walk when you show them--no running.  They're not inclined to
noisiness, either!
    Another advantage to having a Staffie is that if you were to move to
England, you could wear chains and leather when you went to the
shows...LOL but true!
Peggy