[ SHOWGSD-L ] Home owners insurance for dog owners

  • From: pruett@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:36:13 -0500

I need some input from the list, please.  This Thursday I need to testify before
the insurance committee of the Maine state legislature on LD543 - An act to
prevent insurance companies from cancelling/refusing to issue home owners
insurance based solely on breed of dog owned (unless the dog is classified as a
dangerous dog under Maine law).  We expect the insurance lobby to turn out in
full force.  I'm trying to anticipate their arguments in order to have answers
- for example - isn't it true that some breeds to bite more often than others
so shouldn't insurance companies be allowed to limit their exposure?

I'd appreciate input and advice from anyone out there in listland who has
experience and insight into this issue.

Also, anyone in Maine who has had problems with home owners insurance or knows
someone who has, I'd really appreciate written testimony summarizing your
experience to present to the committee.

This bill is sponsored by a very well respected democrat (former
speaker of the house) and co-sponsored by an equally well-respected republican.
We have the support of the Maine Veterinary Medical Association, the Maine
Association of Realtors, the Maine Federation of Humane Societies, and the
local kennel club and shelter.  But, the insurance lobby is a lot richer and
more experienced in this process than we are.

Laurie Pruett