[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sheila's post

  • From: Cynthia VanDenBerge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD List <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:38:48 -0800 (PST)

I don't think that Sheila meant to upset anyone, but made an honest statement
from her heart.  The truth of the matter is that statistically, most of the GSD
litters do not come from PC or list members.  (well, OK, I admit to not really
crunching the data, but I think it will hold up to scrutiny).  The only comment
I have for Kathy's scenario is that I wouldn't be so quick to label the person
supplying the puppies as a BYB.  I mean in this case I am sure that is correct,
but I personally know of situations that are just as horrific where the puppy
suppliers were PC (and even list) members in good standing.  They are just as
capable of doing dumb things and greedy things and dishonest things.  Oh well,
I can only hope that these rambuncious boys get 'clipped' and trained...but I
doubt that will happen.  Most likely we will eventually get a post from Dawn
titled "2 abused and starving litter brothers found tied to a tree without food
or water".  Regards, Cynthia
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx wrote:

Yes, but I was tired of arguing. Then I had a phone call from a lady who
had previously contacted me for a puppy (didn't have anything and neither did
any of our RC members). Her dog had died and this was a referral from a vet
where I get my OFA stuff done....anywho....

....she went to a local BYB with her grown but living-at-home
son. They bought home two males, littermates . Now they are
seven months, out of control, unsocialized, and they have both bit adult
living-at-home son and some of his friends.

She called a doggy behaviorist, is>, who wants $700 per dog to come out and
"evaluate" the dogs. Oh
yeah....$500 of that (each) is for a shock collar. For 7 month olds. (Is that a
racket
or what????? Note to self, put a blip in puppy packet, which is starting to
look like a phone book, discouraging puppy buyers from "come to the house"
trainers.)

Naturally, BYB (who has been suspended by the AKC for the love of Pete!),
won't return calls. This lady wanted to know if I could help (I suggested a
reputable class put on by her local AB club, really good trainer, suggested
they go one at a time and even suggested adult but living-at-home son get his
own place and take one, sorry, couldn't resist!), or if I wanted one (can pigs
fly???? WHY would I want an ill tempered out of nothin' by nothin'?). She
brought up rescue, but if she mentions the biting (her words, "went after, and
"oh yeah, they broke skin"), rescue can't take them. If she tells the truth
to our local no-kill shelter, they won't re-home either.

Of course they are (still) intact, her adult still living at home son who
sounds like a real peach, wouldn't dream of neutering them.

So, anyway, this is the experience of JQ Public when they look for a dog.
We could all stop breeding tomorrow and this would still go on....

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd Dogs_

AOL now offers free
http://www.aol.com.

always stay connected to friends.