[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sheila's post

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: BARBMARKH@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 15:18:42 EST

Beyond  that, I hope all GSDCA members will take the time to analyze
themselves  and see if they are breeding too often and are possibly producing
dogs at a
rate that appears to be that of a mass producer of dogs.

**************************

In a message dated 3/2/2007 2:45:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
BARBMARKH@xxxxxxx writes:

I found this rather an interesting statement - of the litters of GSD  that
are
produced annually - the 3,500 to 4,000 members of the GSDCA  probably do more
to produce more correct, healthier, better tempermented  dogs than the other
95% of the people that breed them - so what is the story  here - we would
like
the members to stop breeding these better puppies to  allow all the others to
continue breeding lesser quality puppies for the  public to buy?  Leaving the
"uninformed" breeders of puppies to do the  breeding  - I really think that
we
should encourage our members - who  are probably the best informed on blood
lines,
health issues, confirmation  and temperament issues - to do breedings - as
they
are the most active at  finding really good homes for their puppies . . . .
Did any one else find  this statement unsettling?

Barb

Yes, but I was tired of  arguing.  Then I had a phone call from a lady who
had previously contacted  me for a puppy (didn't have anything and neither did
any of our RC  members).  Her dog had died and this was a referral from a vet
where I get  my OFA stuff done....anywho....

....she went to a local BYB  <Mistake #1> with her grown but living-at-home
son.  They bought home  two males, littermates <Mistake #2>.  Now they are
seven months, out  of control, unsocialized, and they have both bit adult
living-at-home son and  some of his friends.

She called a doggy  behaviorist, <I lost track of what number mistake THIS
is>, who wants $700  per dog to come out and "evaluate" the dogs.  Oh
yeah....$500 of that  (each) is for a shock collar. For 7 month olds.  (Is that
a racket
or  what?????  Note to self, put a blip in puppy packet, which is starting to
 look like a phone book, discouraging puppy buyers from "come to the house"
trainers.)

Naturally, BYB (who has been  suspended by the AKC for the love of Pete!),
won't return calls.  This lady  wanted to know if I could help (I suggested a
reputable class put on by her  local AB club, really good trainer, suggested
they go one at a time and even  suggested adult but living-at-home son get his
own place and take one, sorry,  couldn't resist!), or if I wanted one (can pigs
fly????  WHY would I want  an ill tempered out of nothin' by nothin'?).  She
brought up rescue, but if  she mentions the biting (her words, "went after, and
"oh yeah, they broke  skin"), rescue can't take them.  If she tells the truth
to our local  no-kill shelter, they won't re-home either.

Of course they are (still)  intact, her adult still living at home son who
sounds like a real peach,  wouldn't dream of neutering them.

So, anyway, this is the  experience of JQ Public when they look for a dog.
We could all stop  breeding tomorrow and this would still go on....

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_
http://www.aol.com.