[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Senior retired police dog in shelter

  • From: "Michael and Linda Booker" <legatogsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dir@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 19:27:11 -0500

Different departments and offices handle this differently.  My brother
started his career in law enforcement as a K-9 officer, with a small county
sherriff's office.  The dog's ownership was a very sticky, messy situation.
When my brother left that department, he was not even allowed the
opportunity to purchase the dog.  It broke everyone's hearts.  That was many
years ago, and now I see lots of departments have evolved
tremedously....others, not so much.  One town we lived in, handlers were
rotated through the unit.  That doesn't work well at all.  The parish where
we live now has a fabulous sherrif's office.  K-9 handlers and their
partners are valued and respected.  The department recognizes not only the
value of the dogs to law enforcement, but also the bond that develops
between handler and dog.  Some places, they are just pieces of equipment.

Many handlers begin their duty as a k-9 officer with no prior dog
experience.  Obviously, this is not always good for the dog.  So, I am not
terribly surprised to see a retired police dog in a shelter.  Saddened, yes,
but not surprised.  Does anyone know if he has found a home?

Legato German Shepherds...and...
Stormy Sch3 IPO3 CDX RA
SG Zena Sch2 Kkl1 AD CD
Beaux Sch2 AD

>From: "robert dir" <dir@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <ValleSaladoGSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Showgsd-l"
><Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Senior retired police dog in shelter   Date:
>Wed, 1 Aug 2007 20:20:05 -0500
>
>I guess I wonder how he ended up in a shelter!  I am not pretending to be
>stupid here but I must be.  Was the officer not allowed to take him home as
>a pet--doesn't the police department have a plan for these retired
>dogs--like RESCUE?  Good Lord every day it is throw away kids and dogs.  We
>should all be feeling guilty about this stuff -- we need to get envolved.
>I worked with the Amboy dogs and believe me the days we were there and
>folks
>took one of our "children" and looked happy about it was just so heart
>warming.
>NO POLICE DOG SHOULD END UP IN A SHELTER.  NEVER!  Nice retirement right??
>Sandi

See what you?re getting into?before you go there
http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_preview_0507