[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Same Bat time, Same Bat channel...long

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:40:01 -0800 (PST)

I for one have never been to a Canadian National.

  Why

  1- It is too far away.
  2- it is too close to the USA national time wise.
  3-it is judged by American judges so there is no mystery there.
  Terry
Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I guess it depends on whether or not you consider the National to be a
conformation show or if you consider it to be a club event for all members,
educational programs, the only club meeting, seminars, etc.
And try mapping the addresses of the exhibitors from all over the nation who go
to Canada and you will find a select few who travel far. It is closer to go to
Canada for many GSDCA members than it is to go to our National. Of course if we
always locate the National in the middle of the country, it will always be
close to many of those same folks. If I lived in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan or
vicinity, I would probably drop in there also. It is a bit farther from Florida
or LA.
Ruth

wrote: I have a question, I suppose because I am confused, or just slow on the
uptake. How is it that exhibitors, from all over the US manage to make
their pilgrimage to Canada every year to the National, which is held in the
same location.The Can. National is comprised of a great number of US
exhibitors, so basically the same US exhibitors attend both Nationals. So,
why are US exhibitors willing to accept that the Can. National is held in
the same location every year, but won't accept this as a possibility for
our US National? Every year I hear people say that if you haven't attended
the Can. National you should because it is great fun.Oddly I never, ever
hear anyone gripe about getting to the location,or going to the same
location, no matter where they are coming from, whether it be San Diego,CA,
Bangor, Maine, or Miami,FL they all seem to make it to Kitchner. To date, I
have never heard a US exhibitor state that they would never attend a Can.
National again, unless they began rotating it around their country. So to
sum it all up I suppose I am asking how can the very same group of US
exhibitors showing at the Can. National be content with the same location
every year, be discontent and disenfranchised unless the US National is
rotated around the country every year?Keep in mind that I am a bit slow, so
someone explain this to me like I was a 6 year old. Christine

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM

rotating the location so everyone has the chance to get there. You might
miss out on one National, but at least there will be one withing reasonable
driving distance within you lifetime, regardless of where you live. Is it
fair to make the folks on either coast, especially the upper and lower
corners of the coasts, to travel upwards of 1500 miles EVERY year? It
may be more convenient for those living near the chosen location members,
but it deliberately disenfranchises many members. It is a matter of
fairness. Not only is air travel going to be more and more difficult, but
consider always having to drive long distances at $4.00/gal, plus the
travel time. We know gas will not get cheaper.
> Ruth
> Edwin Hill wrote: ....When I was in the Fourth
grade the Bat Man TV show was a favorite of mine...at the end of the show
the announcer would say..." tune in next time at the same Bat time and the
same Bat channel"......I am breaking one of my three list rules, the one
about not discussing National locations in public....I have been trying
three weeks to ship a dog to a location in the Midwest....either there are
no planes that will take a 500 crate, or the weather is bad or the
connections times are horrible etc etc....then today I few to Utah to pick
up three puppies...well when I showed up at the airport Delta informed me
that the price of flying WITH your pet as excess baggage went up....WAY
UP...it used to cost 75 bucks, now its 150 bucks...one way per dog!...now
when I booked the fare last Dec. the lady told me it was $75....I also
heard that Delta was about to merge with Northwestern, so it's my guess
that they too will charge the same
> outrageous fare...well I lost my temper in Utah at
> the airport on a different shipping issue, I think I sort of upset (
embarrassed) lister Connie Malo with my outburst...but enough is
enough....when I ran for the board a few years ago I was very outspoken
about our National being at the Same place at the same time EVERY YEAR (
hello Canada)...thanks again for defeating me, however I still maintain
that one day when no one can fly to the 2045 National in "Funtime
Virginia".. because of some of the problems I mentioned above...I won't be
here to say I told you so, oh yeah when I got to Utah this morning Connie
told me she was all set to ship a puppy to Columbus when the airport called
and told her that the dog was being bumped because they would not be able
to accommodate the puppy...the writing is on the wall folks, whether you
want to read it or not...I am still no mail for another 4 weeks until my
spring break.....letting off steam in beautiful Brentwood Calif.......I
should never travel without my meds.....lol....FB