[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: SITTING FEES/Photographers

  • From: "Michael Lynch" <blackhawkfarmsllc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 10:18:33 -0700

Hi Norma,
let me clarify a bit more.
No one can tell a person what fees/prices/ etc they should set. In my
business practices, somethings I can afford to give away, some things I
can't. For example, an extra bath this week when we played in the mud, thats
fine I can do that without charging a client. A good 5:1 shampoo is only
about 35 cents a gallon and the eletricy used to dry is about a nickel.
However, A trip to Los Angeles from Sacramento at $4.17 a gallon, I cannot
afford to give that away.

So when I was saying, you cannot set the prices of what someone charges, no,
you havent any control over that but as a consumer, it is wise and advisable
to shop around for the best deal.

 Sometimes you get what you pay for and you have to ask yourself is it
really a "bargain" in the long run.

Now, as for the photographer, that did work in my opinion. After paying him
and giving him back the photos of the kerry blue that were atrocious.. he
made a deal with me. He actually credited my account the $176 and he worked
a little harder to get a good shot. He even said that if he felt it wasnt
good, he wouldnt send it.  He coudl've been "snotty" with me but he did a
good business practice. He knew I was dissapointed in the photos and he also
knew I carry a string of dogs and I have clients whom advertise. Why piss me
off?  I had a skye terrier I showed briefly who won a group and when I got
ready to take the photo, I realized the only photographer around was one
whom I would NOT deal with. In short, took my dog off the table, and said,
NO thanks for a group 1 win photo. (Long running argument about a client who
she said didnt pay her and I saw the cancelled check.)

 She did, however take some beautiful candids in best in Show and gave them
(4x6) to the owner and said that if she wanted to order a couple she could
but the unmarked proofs were hers to keep.(another good business practice).
I appreciated what she did and she earned my business again.

My point, I guess after all this, is that you have a choice. It may seem
strange, but you really can say, "this isnt going to fly with me" so what
can we do from this point on?

Mike