[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Raw Beef Marrow Bones

  • From: Peter Cacioppo <PeterCacioppo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:44:05 -0700

Ileana,

We use Pro Plan adult, and change from chicken, to beef, to Turnkey/Barley
without any problems, kibble mostly but do give them some chicken mixed in.
We wait until whole chickens go on sale for .69 to .89 cents a pound; we
then cut off the breasts for us and they get the rest...everything....
Makes our chicken breasts really inexpensive.....
We will freeze the whole chickens...say 2 or 3 of them and the bones appear
just like fresh once they are thawed.
We also give them Dr. Kruger's Hi Performance formula.   Always have great
stools from the dogs and great coats on them.

Best buy was one they had at Costco this week:  Buy two fresh chickens for
.89 cents a pound and they give you two more chickens for free, with their
Costco coupon of the month.   We ended up with 4 pretty decent sized
chickens for only $7.05 total, with the breasts then for us!

As to beef, try your local independent small markets and ask them to set
aside some bones and unused stuff for you; that might work.

By the way, we all still miss you here in California!!!

Peter Cacioppo
www.members.tripod.com/EagleGSD
Eagle Hill Vineyards and Winery, German Shepherds and Belted Galloway cattle

 -----Origina

Ok, so I don't have a butcher in this area, where else can I get these raw
beef marrow bones?
Those of you who feed raw, where do you get your chicken backs, etc?   I
believe I was told not to freeze the bones, to keep them from splintering?
So, when you buy A LOT, how do you storage it? Just curious.

Ileana