[ SHOWGSD-L ] Question concerning the upcoming vote and dogs entering the FSS...

  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fk.fasano@xxxxxxxxx, walflwr2@xxxxxxx, GSDCAOffice@xxxxxxx, GSDCAmembers@xxxxxxx, greypines@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 20:41:13 -0400

Dear GSDCA Board,

I've got a quick question for any of you who might care to
respond...

Can any of you explain to me why the Biewer (pronounced
Bee-Va) Terrier -- a "breed" that is fairly well accepted
as being nothing more than a tricolor Yorkshire Terrier
and is *NOT* currently recognized by the FCI has now
gained acceptance into the AKC FSS, but the White Swiss
Shepherd (BBS), a breed that *IS* fully recognized both by
FCI and internationally -- but not by our parent club,
apparently -- is not acceptable into the FSS?

Can any of you kindly explain why our AKC delegate
apparently wants registered WSS/BBS imported into this
country to be added to the AKC GERMAN SHEPHERD stud book
and gene pool instead of allowing them to be used to help
found the White Swiss Shepherd breed with AKC?

Finally, if DNA is so important to this decision, can
anyone explain why there is a YouTube video floating
around that shows an AKC Champion Amstaff being tested and
the test results coming back stating the dog is mostly
Border collie!? Are AKC pedigrees *that* far wrong that a
Champion dog of one breed DNAs as a totally different one?

Maybe I'm stupid, but I am just not 'getting' this.

One would think that, if our club is going to go through
the trouble and expense of doing a vote on a possible
Standard change, that it would also like to settle this
'white' issue once and for all. Is there any reason why a
question could not be added to the ballot -- or an
additional ballot be included with the Standard change
ballot -- asking the membership whether or not it would
support allowing any owners of white GSDs who desire to do
so, to use their dogs to help found and establish a
separate breed (to be named later) with the AKC Foundation
Stock Service?

Sincerely seeking answers, I am

Karen M Carloni
GSDCA regular member in good standing