[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Purpose of dog shows

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx" <lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "inquestgsd@xxxxxxx" <inquestgsd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 18:16:32 -0700 (PDT)

Levothyroxine sodium acts, as does endogenous thyroxine, to stimulate
metabolism, growth, development and differentiation of tissues. It increases
the rate of energy exchange and increases the maturation rate of the epiphyses.
Levothyroxine sodium is absorbed rapidly from the gastrointestinal tract after
oral administration.
Following absorption, the compound becomes bound to the serum alpha globulin
fraction. For purposes of comparison, 0.1 mg of levothyroxine sodium elicits a
clinical response approximately equal to that produced by one grain (65 mg) of
desiccated thyroid.
Soloxine Indications
Provides thyroid replacement therapy in all conditions of inadequate production
of thyroid hormones. Hypothyroidism is the generalized metabolic disease
resulting from deficiency of the thyroid hormones levothyroxine (T4) and
liothyronine (T3). Soloxine (levothyroxine sodium) will provide levothyroxine
(T4) as a substrate for the physiologic deiodination to liothyronine (T3).
Administration of levothyroxine sodium alone will result in complete
physiologic thyroid replacement.
Canine hypothyroidism is usually primary, i.e., due to atrophy of the thyroid
gland. In the majority of cases the atrophy is associated with lymphocytic
thyroiditis and in the remainder it is non-inflammatory and as of yet unknown
etiology. Less than 10 percent of cases of hypothyroidism are secondary, i.e.,
due to deficiency of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). TSH deficiency may
occur as a component of congenital hypopituitarism or as an acquired disorder
in adult dogs, in which case it is invariably due to the growth of a pituitary
tumor.

Morgan  Lewis, RPh.
Member GSDCA
President Last Hope of  Georgia 501c3