[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Purpose of dog shows

  • From: Morton Goldfarb <janandmort@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jackkilgour@xxxxxxx, campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx, inquestgsd@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:48:34 -0400 (EDT)

Jack well said and we, as Judges, have the responsibility of our Breeds future
and should be mindful of  trends that are both positive and negative.
The Judges decision significantly influences the "fancy's" opinion and
therefore which lines to breed into.
If certain qualities are pushed then those qualities become "desirable" by the
breeders and everyones desire to do well in shows.
While there are many who are not followers many are and we all are influenced
by these decisions.
I would venture to say if certain characteristics that were not "winning in the
show ring" were pushed by Judges and those characteristics gave rise to winners
then there would be a rush to incorporate those into one's breeding program.
Everyone wants their dogs to win so the Judges and the Shows have tremendous
impact and all can still have fun and visit with friends etc. which we all do.
Our Standard is a good one and very flexible with much subjectivity BUT there
objective criteria that are siginificant regarding Breed Standard.
I will be giving the Judges Education Seminar on Wed. at the National which
will incorporate all facets of Judging for perspective new Judges per AKC
guidelines.
Thanks and your thoughts are very well respected by me and insightful.
"Judge to the Standard not the Market Place"
You are absolutely correct in that we must Judge the Dog at that moment based
on it's characteristics according to the Standard as we have NO knowledge as to
it's ability to breed ,it's offspring or it's status regarding hips etc.
Thanks,
Morton

What was was, what is is --but what was is and what is was!!

Morton Goldfarb

From: Joan Fox <campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx>