[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pick your tools well

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tigra12@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 00:30:38 -0400

Oh my.   I don't think just reading the Standard or looking at pictures
is sufficient background for breeding.  On the other hand, if you can't
read at all, you can still learn what is right and good from people who
know.
    The reason the AKC started making judges take tests is because it
was discovered that there were people judging breeds for which they'd
never read the Standards.  Really...that's true.
    Some PCs started using Illustrated Standards to HELP JUDGES
understand the written word...Really, that's true.  Yes, an IS can be
helpful to someone in a breed...but the original purpose was to help
judges, not breeders.  If there is someone out there who doesn't feel
comfortable breeding dogs because they need an IS to help them, then
that someone shouldn't be breeding at all.  Not yet.
    It's like the Pat Hastings "puppy puzzle" that seems to have taken
the country by storm (except for the GSD folks, thank heavens).  Would
you believe that there are people out there breeding litters and grading
them using the "puppy puzzle"...they invite their friends (who often
have the same or even less experience in the breed) to help them.  If
they can't do it without the puzzle and without their friends (and some
can't) they shouldn't be breeding, either.  Not yet.
    Sheez...
       Nobody should be breeding anything unless they know more about
the dogs than what they look like...altho that's a help, you should have
obtained that knowledge by seeing real live dogs, not by looking at
pictures, particularly drawn ones, not even photographs.
    I'll tell you what...go grab a written Standard for some other breed
and try to draw a picture of the dog it describes.  This works best if
it's a breed you haven't watched or even seen.  See how well it works
for you.  You have to SEE the dogs...not just a drawing.  If you spend
your time wisely you don't need an IS...but you need the written words.
    You have to use your eyes to look at dogs.  Your ears to listen to
those who know more than you.  That's how you learn to breed dogs.  When
you want to judge, you should do all that AND read everything you can
get your hands on, and talk to people, and if there's an IS, yes, you
should see it, too...especially if it's well done.  Then maybe, just
maybe, you will be able to judge dogs.   The IS on its own won't make
you a better breeder--but if you do all the above and THEN use the IS,
it MIGHT make you a better judge.
Peggy