[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pick your tools well

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: Tigra12@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:12:58 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/2005 11:07:57 P.M. Central Standard Time,
Tigra12@xxxxxxx writes:
When I  think of the GSD standard (ANY standard really), I think of it in two

parts.  The WRITTEN Standard, which is set in stone, and the pictoral
standard, which is an artists depiction of what the ideal dog should look
like.
So, they are one in the same, and at the same time, they are  not.  For
example, if the NIS had been continued on with, and today's  style was shown
as ideal
in drawn terms, I wouldn't use it.  If the  style of the dog changed 50 years

This was exactly what Orrie Nordness knew, when he did our first  Illustrated
Standard. I've been saying this all along. He did NOT  make an  artist
interpretation. He took our written Standard ,and using the exact  measurements
as
were described,drew a schematic ,generic drawing of the written  word. He knew
styles and types would change through the years,but his drawings  were the
written Standard. And that is why it has served us well for 50 years.  We can
ALWAYS see in the ring, or in show pictures,what is today's  style,but you
don't
change the Standard to suit the present type. Changes  evolve,and as long as
the changes are within the written Standard,that's fine.  Our dogs may look
different 10 yrs from now, ,but you stay with the written  standard,and you'll
still know what our breed looks like

       Helen Miller Fisher