[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pano or Lyme/ long...

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TISHW@xxxxxxx>, <CMILL189@xxxxxxx>, <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <hollywoods@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 19:11:14 -0700

Living in an area where Lymes disease and Erlichiosis is prevelant and having
had a dog
that had both Lymes and Erlichia I can tell you that if left undetected it can
be devastating
to the dog.
The key to finding out about Lymes is that the test for Lymes almost always
comes up
negative when they do indeed have Lymes.    We have seen that over and over in
our area
with people and with dogs.
We lost BOSS to Erlichia and our experience was an eye opener.   I had known at
least
6 people in our area with Lymes and several dogs.    OFTEN on the people when
the tests
came up negative and I showed them the symptoms for Lymes......( vague flu-like
symptoms )
a couple of them had smart Drs. that opted to treat them for Lymes anyway and
they were
helped.    One who was not treated for a few years ended up extremely arthritic
and it ruined
his career as a Coach.    The longer they go untreated the more devastating the
results.
With BOSS I knew all the symptoms....I knew he must have Lymes and we ran the
tests on him
twice.....about 8  months or more apart.    Finally when he was severely lame
and I could feel
 him 'quiver' when he sat next to me......we had our Vet X-ray him and he said
he had severe
arthritis in  his joints.  ( that's what Lymes does )   I reminded  him he was
OFA both ends and
had no problems and requested the FULL TICKSOLOGY test just  as I had been
advised just
before this  by Mary Ellen Kish after I had called her for help and advice.
When the results came back......our Vet was stunned to find out BOSS had Lymes
AND
Erlichiosis!!!!     Mary Ellen Kish had helped me a lot when I called her as
she went through
almost an identical experience with HONKY TONK MAN.    She had experienced and
learned
it all and advised us to get the three way test,  as then, and ONLY then,  can
you be sure of the
negative reading.     This test is for Lymes, Erhlichiosis and Rocky Mt.
Spotted Fever....it is
not cheap.....but worth it.   I don't know if it works with people....but it
does with dogs.  I will
never waste the time or money on just the test for Lymes again.
PS......BOSS had been on Frontline all the time......for fleas and ticks.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com