[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pannus

  • From: "Destinogs1" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "destinogs1" for DMARC)
  • To: frontiergsd@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 09:25:11 -0400

I also had a male years ago that had pannus & dry eye. He lived to 14 and did
not go blind. It did involve twice a day treatment and lived in the kennel.
The amount of dust, dirt and light had to be controlled. Yes, the treatment is
not inexpensive. I believe the drug that was used was cyclosporine in liquid
form and some other optic ointment. I enjoyed my dog and would do it again if
needed. This disease requires dedication and is not curable.

Mary Gattone
GSDCA member since 1978
AKC Breeder of Merit

From: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:10/30/2015 21:41 (GMT-08:00)
To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Pannus

In over 40 years of raising German shepherds I have never had this problem.
I now have a 3 year old male that I have been trying to place who has developed
Pannus. He was returned because of other problems. He is shy around people he
does not know so it has been hard finding the right home. My vet has someone
who will take the dog and has agreed to adopt him and to continue his
treatment. This will be an ongoing thing for the rest of his life at about $50
to $75 a month. As I understand this is not cureable and has to be done or the
dog goes blind. sometimes with pain. Can I trust someone to take on this or
should I put him down. I really don't know what to do and I want to do the
right thing. Any ideas or help? Thanks Brenda