[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pannus

  • From: "Carrie" <oakridgegsd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 07:41:24 -0600

In all but a few cases pannus can be effectively managed – don’t put him down.
The severity of the disease determines the protocol. Prednisolone acetate and
cyclosporine are normally prescribed, but there are other drugs which are
sometimes used if the dog has problems with either drug. Right now, the pred
drops are ridiculously expensive, but can be obtained from a compounding
pharmacy for much less. Cyclosporine is available as an ointment (Optimmune) or
as a solution made up by compounding pharmacies. Dogs can also receive
injections of triamcinolone once a month instead of daily drops/ointment.
Reducing sun exposure is highly recommended. Some dogs do okay with goggles.
The disease often has periods of either flare ups or remission, which dictates
the appropriate drugs and frequency of application. I work in a vet clinic
which has dogs who live at 9,000 to 10,000 feet in elevation. The disease is
not uncommon in our practice, especially among GSDs. A veterinary
ophthalmologist told me that the disease can be managed to prevent blindness in
nearly all dogs, but she added that she has known dogs who don’t respond well
to treatment.