[ SHOWGSD-L ] One or the other

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:46:55 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 9/27/12 1:43:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
nhansburgh@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

in  conformation only one dog or bitch wins so its more competitive and
therefore  harder to get and more thrilling but then i am very  competitive.

I was thinking the other day about championships vs. grand  championships.

It seems to me that to win a championship it takes a quality dog, and good
judges. To get a grand champion it takes more so,  a number of shows.  At
many all-breeds there are only a couple of champions, and so you often get
the grand champion points due to being there.  So it is more quantity than
quality.

The reason I see it that way is we continued to show Kirk, because Summer
was showing Ruby, and we took Kirk along. He won a lot of BOBs and at the
shows  where he didn't he got grand champion points. He never missed one or
the  other.

When we got Ruby's Championship certificate, at the same time we got Kirk's
 grand championship certificate.  I hadn't even thought about the grand
champion title.

I like it, since it will get some champions off the couch. But, it does
seem to me to be a quantity, not a quality award.

Evan L. Ginsburg