[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OT-Schutzhund

  • From: Kris Kudel <vomkristallaugen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: grnram415@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 21:19:44 -0600 (CST)

=====================
From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
Date: 2007/03/10 Sat PM 07:28:49 CST
To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] OT-Schutzhund

Well, I attended my first Schutzhund training today with my Dutch shepherd.
They sure make a day out of it.  I am exhausted and sunburned.  Thank you
California desert, lol!  It was a very interesting experience.  Becasue of the
trial last weekend, only about 10 people showed up.  So, lots of individual
attention.

Here is what I learned.  The reason I feel my American show line GSD's could
not do this is because they are big, spoiled babies.  Well, guess what?  So is
my Dutchie.  This crazy, high drive dog got serious Mommyitis.  Now, she is
only 18mos old and no prior exposure.  But, the message was loud and clear.  My
dogs are spoiled brats, LOL!  This is my fault, not the dogs's.  Of the dogs I
have, I never expected her to be a total Momma's girl.  The other part of the
problem is that I am TOO Alpha.  (According to the trainer)  She was afraid to
do anything wrong.  Hmmmm.

I am not going to say that I don't want my dogs to bond with me.  I do.  Makes
it easier in the show ring.  But, maybe they are too bonded.  Is that possible?

The Dutchie did start to come around a bit towards the end with tons of praise.
 I will have to re-evaluate my training and see if I really am too strict with
them.  I enjoy having well-behaved dogs but maybe they need to have just a bit
less structure.  Is that possible?

All you trainers out there, tell me what you think.

Laura Thomas

Actually Laura,
 The woman who was supposed to be my mentor, went from American lines (did well
with 2 of her females and 1 male), Jimmy Moses actually leased her Ch Hollow
Hill's Sierra v Cherpa (Dam of my 7 yr old)and they got Kaleef's Blondie and
Kaleef's Valle out of that leasing.
  Anyway, she went with full German Showline dogs many years ago. She had told
me...that even rearing/training them from pups early on, is different than
training the average dog.  They are trained to instill the drive, as most are
trained to "calm it down"...so to say.  Too much stucture, too much strict
training, and the pup will loose it's drive.

Just thought I'd let ya know what I was told.   So you basically asnwered
yourself....yes Schutzhund dogs are far less "structured". Not saying they are
not trained at all, ill mannered dogs.....just they are trained from a
different way from a young pup.

Kris Kudel
Kamelot
Shepherds      UPDATED http://mysite.verizon.net/krisbob1/