[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OK.. the way we were again... LOL

  • From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GSD0110@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:58:34 -0800

Great post Gary.
In dogs , pretty is, isn't necessarily as pretty does.   Type embodies far
more than fluffy and pretty.  What has happened to masculinity?...it's
lack was glaring at the National.
Also there seemed to be an epidemic of rolling , undulating movement over
the croup, loin and back of MANY dogs and bitches....and accompanied by
dragging insteps, or "lizard-like" movement in the rear. Yeah, a lot of
movement at the Nationals...but that white wall showed crystal clear...it
was in the wrong places in many instances.
Love to see an off lead portion for the Specials.  Love to see a DEMAND for
loose lead for every dog, for at least down the long wall. Walking to a
point, not to abusive amounts of time is great.  Afterall, our dogs are
designed to also guide the blind, be therapy dogs, and herding isn't always
at a trot
 I don't know if we are seeing dogshows lately or quarter horse races,
because I'll tell you...the GSDs being shown these days are contenders with
a AAA horse at the 1/4 mile. lol.   .  A walk really screams when a middle
piece is poor, or the reach and drive is lacking.  It is not just a trotting
breed, it is a WORKING breed.

Temperament? Well that goes to my first sentence...pretty is as.....?  I
have seen pretty, or sort of pretty with abominable temperament, from
cowardly to sharp-shy (I'll get you before you get me) Without solid
temperament (from gentle to really tough and all in between) the GSD isn't
worth feeding.

Gary knows from whence he speaks.  His dogs are some of the few of the great
long striding , movers....  real power, real hard toplines, reach, drive,
and got front? In spades.

Many among us have grown weary of the short necked , short crouped "pitty
patters"  ,that stab at the ground rather than extend both ends,  with
ironically often the longest part of the anatomy being egregious hocks (that
generally kick up on a loose lead)...The little dogs that are  fluffy and
often not necessarily even pretty....which is so ironic , since initially
that was what we were told for so long.."Well at least they are pretty"  and
"it is what the public wants"  .I find no beauty in lack of correct
structure and  flagrant failure in motion, and often temperament.

Give me a dog that can work, at any speed, in any climate.  Give me a male
that looks and moves like a male, whom I don't need to check to see if there
are testicles...give me flowng lines from wither to tailhead and hock.  Give
me a tough SOB or a kind and gentle guide dog...do not entertain the
coward.
The dogs about whom Gary speaks exist, they are out there..here and there,
there lines are WELL known...yet somehow, so many succumbed to a political
machine and trend .....what a loss.  What a shame...and I fear the impact on
the breed, both now, and in years to come.
Just my opinion, for whatever that  is worth.
Kathy Tank