[ SHOWGSD-L ] The way we were/ gait

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <gsd0110@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 23:20:36 -0800

I agree with Jim to a degree ......but remember all the same dogs that won big
at the National
in Breed competition  finished their Championship at the same shows that
everyone else goes to!
They are not IMO built to 'run' at top speed at all times......but they are in
top condition and more
motivated at the National level because of the size of the arena and the noise
and the crowd and
the agenda of being in the arena for hours.      The handler takes off and
gives them their lead
which is exactly what they want ......and they will fly to get around the arena
to find their owner who
plays 'cat & mouse'  with where they are hiding.
We finished our Gr. Vx  BO  at an All Breed with a GSD Judge   She moved around
the smaller
ring nice and easy ......same outline, same long stride......on a loose lead.
She is not a "runner"  around here,  but more of a playful clown.    But she
has willingness and drive
to kick it up a notch and gait at a long extended trot all day if we ask her to
.. just to get back to us.
The motivation of these dogs is to be with you!!    Smaller ring.....they just
cruise around as they pretty
much know where you are.   BIG RING....longer distance  to get to you......LOTS
of noise to not be
able to pick up on exactly where you are is a lot MORE MOTIVATION to fly
around......  <G>
BOOKER was very hard to keep up with in the National arena....but the two
photos of him for his
memorial page in the Dec. Review shows him cruising 'long and easy '  while
doing boundary work
with the sheep.
The length of stride and the topline shows a lot better in the National arena (
or herding sheep in the
field )  and as Gary says should remain the same at all speeds and with a loose
lead.    If the dog is
shown on a tight lead while pulling then we are seeing a  "creative picture"
......whether slow or fast!
A good moving dog can and does gait at all speeds........and efficiently and
beautifully so.....

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 just got back on the list and didn't see Jim's post.... He states  speaking of
long striding correct
sidegait that, "for all intents and purposes  it doesn't exist anymore."   I
agree with Jim that correct
 movement is rare... extremely rare.... but it does exist and I won't settle
for anything less.

I do, however, humbly disagree that a dog has to be moving "slow" in  order to
see it.  He/she has
to be moving "LOOSE" in order to tell if what  you are seeing is really what
the structure of the dog
allows him or her to  do; or if it is simply creative dog handling.  A long
strider can  definitely move
FAST he just doesn't use many steps to cover a lot of  ground.     His or her
outline should not change
whether fast or  slow.

When my dog chases a ball he gaits instead of running.....  because he can
cover just as much
ground gaiting as he could if he were to  run.  Believe me, he is moving on but
he drives so hard off
his rear and  his shoulder opens so well that he takes very few steps and he
can do it all day  with
out breathing hard or getting tired because it isn't hard work for him. He
never kicks up in the rear
and he never lifts in front because his structure  allows him to gait
efficiently.

We have for the most part fallen for the sales gimmick that some have
perpetuated over the past
several years.  They have said, "Oh, we know  he doesn't move as well as some
of the dogs in the
past; but look how pretty and  correct his structure is."      I quote my
mentor when I say, "Structure
is  proven by movement." No matter how "pretty" a dog is to look at if he
doesn't  move correctly he
isn't correct.  Then we can ask is he deep enough?   Is his wither high enough
(or too high)?
 Because if  he moves correctly we already know that he has correct angulation,
a strong  back,
and a good CORRECT shoulder.  Is his neck long enough? Does he have  bone and
substance
and good sex characteristics?
And before anyone flames....if he doesn't have a unimpeachable temperament  and
character he
 shouldn't be bred or shown.  If he isn't sound physically  and mentally; why
waste your time and
kennel space?
We can make whatever excuses we want to make but, structurally, it still  boils
down to the fact
that if ....he doesn't move correctly he IS NOT  correct.  It's rare but the
long strider does and will
continue to  exist.  Thanks,  Gary Lewis