[ SHOWGSD-L ] OFA numbers

  • From: "Doc Zoe" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 20:49:38 -0400

OFA numbers are NOT the end all.  I do the Penn Hip becuase I can have it done
at aged 12

I have bred two OFA excellent dogs together and gotten dysplasia.

Hip Dysplasia is not autonomial in its transmission.  They have only
hypothesized tat it is a 3
gene trait; that it is possible that there is an autsomal genetic transmission
of TURNING IT ON
AND OFF

Nobody intentionally breeds to get bad hips. Side Gait does not equate to bad
hips

However, even with 5 generations on both sides THERE IS NO GUANRANTEE that your
dog will
not have dysplasia

And We have all see dogs fail the OFA and pass elsewhere and not produce a
single bad hip. We ahve all see dogs PASs ofa and produce bad hips

What a good breeder does, is not breed to produce KNOWN problems Like EPI,
MEGA, VWD
etc etc.  And no matter how hard you try, breeding is still a roll of the dice.

Doc Zoe
Wynsum http://wynsumgsd.com