[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Non-healing wound foot pad- Need Help-Frustrated

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 18:09:36 EDT

In a message dated 10/26/2007 5:25:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx writes:
In a  message dated 10/26/2007 11:39:13 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx writes:
> joey - skater had over 2 dozen  surgeries on the large pads of the front
> paws
> due to  calcinosis circumscripta.
>
> Diane...thanks for sharing  that....never heard of it and can't make sense
of
> the Latin.   What causes it?
>
> Jamie

Jamie, I had never heard of it either until this year.  It is  caused by a
dog's body not being able to handle calcium.  In my case, it  manifested itself
as benign cysts on a bitch, that metastasized, which we had  removed.  The
cysts occurred at pressure points or where there had been  trauma (one for
instance on the inside of her lip, where she had been stung by a  bee). I lost
her
at 4 1/2 years to complications (internal bleeding)  following her second
surgery.  There was some slight foot-soreness, though  no open sores on a foot
pad
near the very end.  (The foot soreness  didn't make sense since she was a
house dog).  We suspected after the  second surgery involvement w/ internal
organs.

This is apparently very rare, (my vet had never heard of it and you can
believe the phone lines between all sorts of vets and universities were
buzzing
when we had the biopsy results), although according to what we were able  to
find, statistically, over 50% of all cases are in GSDs.

Other pieces of the puzzle...you know the kind of sebaceous cysts that move
freely and vets suggest you leave them alone?  Exactly how these presented,
although I played it safe and had needle biopsies done (negative), but this was
 a much younger gal, and we usually see them on seniors, which had me
concerned.  Also, according to some of the research one vet came up  with, one
of
the things that can apparently trigger this is hormone  treatments.  My gal
never had those, BUT she did have really weird cycles,  started late and could
go
12-14 months with no cycle (and she lived in a house  full of boys, so, no, I
didn't miss anything).

I asked the vets if a hormone imbalance, perhaps something that affected  her
cycles could be an underlying cause, no answer.  I also asked since 1/2  of
the cases are in GSDs, if there was a genetic cause, also no answer.  I  never
fed a calcium supplement, never used a food that was out of line as far as
that was concerned....

Here's an article:

_http://www.gsdhelpline.com/gout.htm_ (http://www.gsdhelpline.com/gout.htm)

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC