[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: New UCLA Grad-Not OT

  • From: "L. Hartten" <hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 15:27:00 -0600

Dear Laura,

  Congratulations to Charm (and you) on her graduation!

  Your comment about GSDs not being accepted in the program you've
applied to made me think of an outreach possibility for any GSD-folk
with service dogs.  My daughter's Junior Girl Scout troop is working on
two patches related to service dogs & puppies.  The details of the
program are in this link:
http://www.girlscoutsmilehi.org/content/documents/CaninePartnersPatchProgram3.pdf

These are "not quite badges", but similar, and were developed by the
Mile High Council (now Girl Scouts of Colorado) in association with
Canine Partners of the Rockies.  I suspect the patch could be "ported"
to other Girl Scout Councils if these two organizations were asked
nicely.  Since girls this age seem to love animals so much, someone
involved in GSD therapy or service work would probably get a lot of
response if they volunteered to help a Council by providing experienced
dogs, owners, and trainers to meet with troops.  This would be great
"advertising" for GSDs as therapy/service dogs, and would also serve to
counter some of the other images kids get about pets in general and
purebreds in particular.

Cheers,
  Leslie
--
Leslie M. Hartten                web: http://spot.colorado.edu/~hartten
Indi (TerraNorte's Midnight Indigo, German Shepherd Dog)  &  Brittany