[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: New UCLA Grad-Not OT

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: triplea7@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:20:27 -0400

Tony,

Thank you!? Charm and I are honored to have an Honorary Degree presented to
Charm from you :-)?

In my excitement to brag about Charm, I didn't explain assistance dogs very
well.? Like Guide dogs, assistance dogs help their owners get through daily
life.? I believe they began with hearing dogs that could alert their owners to
fire alarms, doorbells, telephones and other important noises.? The duties have
now expanded into many different areas.? There are dogs used for parapalegics,
seizure alerts?and even cancer detection.? With the return of so many soldiers
from Iraq with life altering injuries, the demand for assistance dogs and
facilitators has increased.? Initially, I would be working with the dogs for
the deaf and then with the dogs for soldiers.?

The process is the same as Guide dogs in that the applicant becomes approved
for a dog and then when an appropriate dog is available, the applicant recieves
training and then the dog.? They work with someone, like me, to learn how to
work together and do follow ups to make sure the team is doing well.?

The dogs are provided by the organization.? The dogs?follow the same basic
beginnings as Guide dogs.? They have puppy raisers who socialize them and keep
them until a certain age.? The pups then go to the training facility where they
are evaluated for the job that best suits them and are then put through formal
training.? Once a dog and person are matched, the dog begins to learn the
specific skills he/she will need for that person.? Then, the dog is shipped to
me, where I pick up the dog and bring him/her to his new person.??

Now, this is where?Charm gets involved.? Prior to the arrival of their new dog,
I will work with the applicant and familiarize him/her with how to deal with
their new friend.? Many have never had a dog before.? So, I will use Charm to
get them comfortable with dogs and learn basic dog care and other basic
skills.??I will then bring their dog to them and get them started.??Many
facilitators use their own dogs for this purpose but it isn't required.? I just
think it would be a great use of Charm's skills and it always helps me to have
a dog with me when I am training someone else :-)

I am so excited about this.? Anyone want to be a reference :-)? I don't have
the job, YET....? Just kidding.?

Laura?