[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: My neighbor the backyard breeder

  • From: Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx, ricknaudra@xxxxxxx, thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:14:03 -0800

If they are determined to do a breeding they will.. and confronting them in
this manner will not only alienate, but cause some very hard feelings
amongst neighbors as well..
I would take the "reverse psychology" tact..

Go over and say "My daughter told me you were going to do some breeding.
Anything I can help with?" (Since you have done this before..) then go into
the HORROR stories of whelping, not being able to sell the pups,  and when
you do sell them there is always that risk of people beating down your door
demanding there money back and your hide if the pup they buy from you has
health issue, the loss of puppies, perhaps the mother and worst of all , the
expenses you incur.. but do it from the perspective that "**I** must be nuts
to want to put myself through all that cost, anguish and WORK!" You could
even throw in a "Gee, now that I have told you all the bad stuff that I have
experienced, I think I'm going to stop breeding.. who needs it???"

 ALWAYS offer information from the perspective that you look like you are
supporting them, but sharing your own disasters.. If you haven't had any,
make some up.. <grin>
You say they want to have puppies to replace "Rusty" when he dies.. talk to
them about his status.. how bad are his hips? Make suggestions as to how
they can keep him healthy and happy - and when the time comes that they want
to replace him, tell them how they can AVOID having to go through that
anguish and upset the next time..

In the end, they will do what they chose, but if you *act* like you are
supporting them, you should be able to get them to listen.. if not, you have
done what you could.

JMHO..
Sue Madlung - Shadowacre Reg'd German Shepherds
http://www.shadowacre.com/biologic.htm for TESTIMONIALS
Give your dogs the Ultimate in Nutritional Support!
BiologicVETNx -the PERFECT supplementation for Raw Diets!
http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicvetnx/
Contact Shadowacre for breeder program Information