[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: My first GSD

  • From: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:08:46 EDT

Most people know that Strauss is my very first German Shepherd Dog.  I got
him by "accident" I do suppose.  I'd been exposed to several GSDs during my
lifetime, one being a K9 officer, and another being my co-owned Ranger Dog (who
just had his 9th birthday by the way).
When I was looking for a showdog, GSDs weren't even in the running.  I don't
know why, because I was working with Ranger at the time, but I was looking at
Dobermans, Rottweilers, Bernese Mountain Dogs, Aussies....basically, flashy
dogs.  I never thought GSDs were very flashy.

So, one day I'm looking through the paper (Yes, I know, bad me, but I knew no
better at the time), and I see that there are GSDs for sale.  I asked all
sorts of questions about temperament, health, etc etc.

I went to see the puppies at a gas station as the breeder was delivering a
puppy to her new owner.  At that time, there were three puppies left.  A small
boy pup, a small bitch pup, and a big lug of a pup that ended up being Strauss.
 She showed me pictures of mom and dad (both beautiful), she showed me their
title certificates for their Schutzhund work, I saw their OFA paperwork, etc
etc.

At that point I was still undecided (sort of), but that big boy puppy kept
nagging at me all the way home.  When I went to see him he was very outgoing,
inqusitive, and very sure of himself.  The little brother was more tentative
and
kept to himself, though he wasn't shy and he interacted with me when I
engaged him.  The bitch puppy, I will admit, I did not assess fairly, as I
didn't
want a bitch.  I'd had bitches all my life, and honestly....I was sick of em.
wanted a boy.

So, three days later, with my (reluctant) mother in tow, I hopped into the
car, drove out to Kewaunee, WI, and paid an earnest sum of $250 for my boy.  It
was all of my graduation money.  My mother wasn't happy about the purchase,
but it was something I really wanted and needed.

Now, of course not knowing jack, I thought Strauss would be the next great
show dog.  His ear never stood up, and he stayed east/west in front.  Gorgeous
head piece the bugger has though xD  So, my heart was busted into pieces
because of that ear, and, though I was extremely disappointed, I still wanted
to do
performance with him (That was the plan anyway).

Strauss is now 2 years old, he has  his CGC, RN, and 1 leg to his CD which
we're looking to finish in October, once I return from the Nationals.  I'd like
to get him his RAE, UDX, and his MACH.  I've got big plans with the boy.
He'll be OFA'd in November, and we'll see what happens from there.

So, I got a BYB dog for a meager $250, but he's got a great temperament,
great work ethic (extremely important to me), he's bomb proof, obedient, no
health
issues.  He's an all around great dog.  I'd never buy from that breeder
again, now that I know better, but I don't regret purchasing my boy.  No reason
to.
 I got the most important things in a Shepherd.

 - Jackie