[ SHOWGSD-L ] My First GSD

  • From: Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:29:41 -0700

way back when the kids were little we got an English cocker spaniel - he was a
year old, and I should have had a clue when we were told we were his 3rd
family, but he seemed like a great dog.. well, to make a long story short, he
wasn't so nice.. although we loved him he bit our young son (aged 3) who was
only playing near the dog while he slept.. the attack was completely unprovoked
except by noise - anyway, Rufus was removed from our situation..
I had always had a dog, and missed Rufus terribly..I had been researching dogs
at length to determine which would be the best breed for us. then one day, a
GSD puppy wandered into our yard.. he was about 5 months old.. and I fell in
love!!! I spent the day with him in our yard, I wanted to keep him so bad.. but
darn - he actually did belong to a family down the street so he went home that
evening..

that was enough to start me on our search.. I had decided, after the Rufus
fiasco, to get a pure bred and to know its background - so buy from a breeder.
I found a breeder (Ginny Goulet of Ginmist German Shepherds) who lived not far
from us, called her up and went to visit her dogs.. with kids in tow..She had a
litter due in about 3 weeks and after meeting her dogs, I put a deposit on a
puppy right then and there... Poor Ginny!! I drove her absolutely nuts!!! To
this day I don't know why she put up with me.. she had the patience of Job,
that's for sure!
the litter was born and she allowed us to visit at 4 weeks - our puppy picked
us... <g> and we picked her up 4 weeks later..
"Nevada" was an amazing dog in so many ways - we finished her CH by her 2nd
birthday as Ginny not only got us hooked on shepherds, but dog shows as well..

the rest is history.. but when we lost Nevada to torsion when she was 5 a huge
piece of our family, and hearts, went with her..I will never forget that dog,
and have so many many stories I could tell about her..
Sue Madlung - Shadowacre Reg'd German Shepherds
http://www.shadowacre.com