[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: My First GSD

  • From: Sbarrbellisle@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 07:07:22 EDT

Although my grandfather brought 4 GSD's from Germany with him, when he came
here, they were strictly dogs that worked the farm and not for us kids to play
with.  I didn't obtain my first GSD until nine years ago.  When "Roadie" came
into our lives. He helped heal my husbands loss over another GSD mixed breed
we had 3 years prior.  Roadie quickly showed us his intelligence and will to
please.  He is the goodwill ambassador in my neighborhood, as the older ladies
who live around us, LOVE him to death.  He became my husbands constant
companion.
We took him camping with us, where he quickly showed his natural ability to
track.  My husband had gone for a walk about a half hour earlier and Roadie
appeared lost without his "daddy".  So I put a leash on him and he quickly went
to ground covering an area covered with leaves, trees and even water.  He
promptly starting pulling harder on the leash and I assumed he was getting to
closer to dad.  He was.  My husband had stopped about an hour and a half into
his
walk to observe the beautiful view and Roadie found him.  My husband was very
surprised at this as he had not followed a path or trail.  So we started
playing games with him to search and find, which at almost 9 years old he still
loves to do.  He excelled in obedience and still knows the difference between
which collar is being picked up.  All he longs to hear is praise and the words
Good Boy!!  His registered name is Tindrock's One For The Road.  He never was a
show dog, but he is in our hearts.  We have obtained more GSD'S but he is our
first and will always be first in our hearts.
Sue Barr
Syracuse, NY
Bellisle