[ SHOWGSD-L ] My First GSD

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:04:23 EDT

Nice thread.....

My first GSD was a very small black and tan bitch. We named her Loba.

My father and his family were very animal oriented.  My mother and her
family were not.
Then came Loba.  Everyone in the family was in love with Loba.   We never
bred her, and that was a shame according to one of my aunts. All  the relatives
wanted one just like her.

Up to that point we have always had Dobermans. There was such a difference.
And Loba won hands down.  Pedigree?  Who knows, a friend gave her to  us, they
couldn't take her with them. They bought her from some nuns, or some  monks,
we never did learn which. Now I wonder if they were the New Skete  Monks.  But
then I was too young to care.

She was 4 months old, and the most rotten yet cute puppy I've ever seen.
They paired us together, that rotten and cute description was used on both of
us
equally. LOL.  We remained a pair until the day she died.  She slept  next to
my bed, and I never felt safer. She was the one constant in my  life.

Today when I think of her I really don't care that her conformation was
poor, or that one of her ears was corky.  What I remember best is her solid
temperament and how much she loved me.  We were real buddies. Whenever I  got
in
trouble (sometimes thrice a day...lol) she would be right there by  my side,
ready to defend me if needed. We would take off for hours to the river,  and
just
sit, me reading and she with her head on my lap, or if she heard a  noise,
she would do a "perimeter" check and come right back.  She lived to  be 14.
Later I had a Golden Retriever, and a Norwegian Elkhound, and came  right back
GSD.  I missed that temperament and that loyalty. I am glad I  found it
again.  But there will never be another Loba.  Some say  that's a good thing.
Some
originals are not meant to be duplicated.

Ileana
Chance favors the prepared  mind