[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Millionaire Handlers - and fee for service

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: stormygsd@xxxxxxx, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 04:30:37 -0400

Vendors and handlers are apples and oranges.? I have been a vendor for about 5
years.? When I go to a show, I load my trailer, drive to the show and set up.?
If I don't bring any of my own dogs, I roll out of bed and get to my booth by
8am and am done by 4pm.? I sit in my booth and sell my products, for which I
make a profit.? I don't have to get up at 4-5am, feed and potty dogs, groom and
work my butt off the rest of the day, only to repeat the same chores at night.?
I don't have to worry about living, breathing animals in which I have been
given the responsibility to care for.? What if I, as a handler,?am in the ring
and the AC goes out in my rig and I don't know it.? And, it's 100 degrees
outside?? Or, if one of the dogs has an emergency like bloat or an injury??
When I?send a dog out to a handler, I expect they should be compensated for the
care they provide?for?ensuring their safety and well being.? I am trusting that
handler to anticipate such things and?have plans to d
 eal with it.? And, they do.????????
That doesn't even begin to consider what goes into the care, training and
conditioning of that dog before they even get to the show.? As a vendor, my
pre-show prep only involves loading my trailer and buying groceries for the
weekend.? Can it be hard work?? Sure,?depending on the size of the show and
what I have to bring.??But it's still no comparison.??Even with bringing my own
dogs, I am not putting in near the physically demanding days and hours the
handlers do at a typical show weekend.? Ok, that's maybe not so true when I
brought 6 adults and 8 puppies to the Nationals one year, LOL!?
?
Anyway, it's still apples and oranges.??Even handlers with a string of dogs
have to pay for assistants and their expenses.? They all gotta eat :-)? So I
don't see where there is enough profit to justify a fee to?a club to be allowed
to?handle dogs for?a Club's shows.? And, where would you draw the line?? Any
handler?showing more than one client dog?? 5 dogs???What about new handlers
that are doing well and just starting to pick up clients.??Should they pay a
fee as well?? Maybe they get minimal expenses as?their dogs are picked up
ringside.? There is sure no profit there so?the fee?would come out of their
pocket.? They?won't have?enough clout yet to up their fees to cover the extra
expense, so why would they stay?? It's getting hard enough to?get GOOD GSD
handlers as it is, we sure don't need to lose good ones coming into the breed.

Sorry, Sue, but this would be a bad idea.? Ultimately, I think it would reduce
a club's revenue?if they requested a fee for professional handlers.? More clubs
will fold.? It's time to be more creative in getting new people and new ideas
in clubs.? It's time for the clubs to be more inclusive rather than
exclusive.??Times are tough right now and folks are looking hard at where they
spend their money.??People who?feel included and part of something are far more
likely to spend what extra money they do have on something they enjoy.? People
enjoy their dogs and we all know what happens?when when gets addicted to
showing dogs :-)

Laura Thomas?????????????????????

When vendors set up at shows to sell their wares, they pay a fee to the
club.. why shouldn't handlers pay a fee to the clubs to the clubs as well
when they are "selling their services"???
Just a thought that came to me from another hobbyist.. I think it is a very
interesting question.. anyone want to respond?
Sue Madlung
Shadowacre German Shepherds
http://www.shadowacre.com/

> BE PROSECUTED.