[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Medical Advice-Tumor

  • From: DawgDog@xxxxxxx
  • To: stormygsd@xxxxxxx, irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxx, fresca@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:54:39 EDT

Sounds like  hemangiosarcoma, but you never know until you explore and
biopsy. I removed a speen from a Golden Retriever in March, and the biopsy was
hemangiosarcoma. She went though aggressive chemotherapy with an oncologist,
and
last week the cancer was back and the dog was again bleeding internallly,
this  time probably from metastisis in the liver. We euthanized this lovely 7
year old  dog last Thursday.

I have, however, had a couple of cases in the last year where the bleeding
in the abdomen was due to nomalignant conditions involving the speen, and these
 dogs are doing well.

The bottom line is you usually do not know for sure until you do a biopsy,
though in a German SHepherd the chance of it being hemangiosarcoma is high. I
personally am inclined not to push for every day of life, and will euthanize
my  own dogs far sooner than many of my clients. I guess I just have a
different  perspective, and see so much heartache and non-productive treatment.

Carl Anderson DVM - Tanglewood est 1973