[ SHOWGSD-L ] MUTTS Live Long and Prosper? NOT

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <RihadinK9@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 23:54:01 -0800

>> And add to this that there are MORE dogs as pets now.  I have worked in
>> vet's
> offices.  In every one (including my own vet that I take my dogs too) of
> those offices the DOMINANT pet that is brought in is mixed breed dogs. They
> have
> just as many problems as purebreds.  >
> More people take their pets to the vet than ever did before as well.  One has
> to look at the WHOLE picture.  As the Big picture - our pets ARE living
> longer lives. >
> That is not to say there aren't problems.  MOST of the breeders I know strive
> to avoid them.> > Ginger Cleary,
                    ********************************

I spent an hour in the waiting room of our Vet's office three weeks ago waiting
get the Lymes test done on BOSS.......and this is "the Breeder's Vet"  in this
area
so they get LOTS of Breeders  of purebred show dogs in this place.
I was absolutely amazed at the cases of "mutts" brought in with demodectic
mange,  joint problems....... and allergies and immune problems.
Why are we being told these are pure bred   "INBRED"   problems....???

Saw a little OLD doggie.......a "mutt"......not a Doxie....with "the wheels"
for her
rear.    She'll probably live till she's 14  with the care being given
her....if she
wasn't already.

COULD BE the major difference is that as BREEDERS....we DO HAVE PEDIGREES
and backgrounds and know each other, and the "lines", and the dogs and of
course the average mixed breed owner does not!!   They can't blame a breeder
OR a sire or dam or a line.    It was a real eye opener for me!!

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
http://www.marhaven.com/bookerskids.htm