[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: MUTTS Live Long and Prosper? NOT

  • From: Cynthia VanDenBerge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD List <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 03:41:06 -0800 (PST)

Of course, theoreically, hybrid vigor would say that mutts are, overall,
healthier than purebred...but, that really means healthier from breed specific
problems, not dog health problems overall.  I remember reading a study a long
time ago that looked at the drift towards a specific type of dog if dogs were
allowed to breed unchecked.  It looked like a medium sized houndy brindle type
of dog...very beaglish.
Polling a vet's office isn't very revealing...after all, the dogs are there for
a reason.  I am sure that someone has done a population sampling to show mixed
breed vs mutt in the home out there somewhere.  I would be willing to bet that
there are more mutts with fewer overall health problems....but that is just my
'gut feeling', and as a statistician, I have to 'act on fact'...lol  Cynthia

They have  just as many problems as purebreds. >
http://mail.yahoo.com