[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Lymes, Erlichia & Frontline Plus....& BOSS

  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:27:30 EST

In a message dated 11/16/04 4:31:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx writes:

<<
 In a message dated 11/16/2004 2:40:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
 marhaven@xxxxxxx writes:
 > Most Vet's don't like to give the Lymes vaccine.
 >
 > Any suggestions or advice with anyones experience would be much
appreciated.
 > Thanks in advance......
 >
 > Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx

 Carolyn, I use the Fort Dodge vaccine for Lymes.  It is not 100% effective
 (somewhere in the 90 percentile).  Speaking to vets, the problem seems to be
 that once you vaccinate, a dog will test positive for life (modified live
 vaccine) for the inexpensive Lymes tests and IF you suspect a dog is
affected, you
 must always do the more expensive titter for a correct diagnosis.  I
recently
 (end of March) moved to a very wooded area.  I was seeing the occasional
(albeit
 sickly) tick in the spring even though the dogs were treated w/ Frontline
 plus.  It makes sense to me that the tick can transmit "whatever" before the
 Frontline kills it and they fall off.  I hired an exterminator (Erlich) and
they
 spray the outside monthly with some all natural pyrethryn (sp?) based stuff
 they use. You should see this stuff shooting through the trees when they
spray!
 No ticks....I even stopped w/ the Frontline.  Hope that helps!  Feel better
 Boss!

 Kathy
 visit  Pine Hill German Shepherd Dogs

 ====== >>

  TICKS and Erlichia:

  My Husband and I managed a Standard Schnauzer  Show Dog Kennel in Hawaii on
Oahu which was located in the Ainakulani Forest Preserve and we were
surrounded with trees, brush, all sorts of plants and Ferns etc.. Very lovely
but
infested with  American Brown Dog Ticks.. and the  mild and lovely climate with
it's humidity was a perfect breeding grounds for the Ticks..Especially since
they were provided with  many well-kept Show Dogs to munch on..We constantly
fought Erlichia, fortunately, Lyme disease wasn't a problem at that time.

We had an  a monthly Spray of the entire Kennels and outside runs and
surrounding areas,  with a similar product that  Kathy speaks of using.
 Actually a rather dangerous  method of fighting them in my opinion, but when
thousands of  Tick babies hatched out and were climbing the Kennel Walls we
had no choice.
My Husband and I wore face masks  for several hours after the spraying and
all the dogs had to be removed from the kennel building.. and away from
breathing the spray.. It was quite a project once a month..

 Our only  effective way to fight the Ticks was a daily 'picking off' of each
dog.. Every single dog was very carefully gone over and the ticks removed by
hand, and dropped into a bottle of Alcohol , to our great  glee, after dealing
with the dirty rotten things..
That was our one and only fail=safe method of dealing with them..It involved
a constant 365 days a  year, effort. Often the tiny male tick or several of
them,  would be hiding under the engorged female , so we often used a
magnifying
glass to be certain we spotted them.

 These dogs were each individually groomed daily and so the Tick Removal
just became part of that Grooming process. We had a large Grooming area with a
built-in bath tub and six grooming tables set up in a row , and  excellent
lighting.. So we had the best equipment to work with which also made it  much
easier.

Their  crates were  sprayed daily and then washed with soap and water and
dried.  This was done in the event an engorged female tick dropped off the dog
and was smashed, as the eggs were in the blood and if the blood remained the
baby ticks could  possibly hatch out.
 The  concrete floor kennel runs washed with  Detergent / bleach /water and
then  carefully rinsed with  just  clean water, daily.
 It is not so difficult to manage such a regime in  such a sunny and  mild
climate.. I appreciate that this method is not feasible for certain parts of
the
country.
 But it is Very Effective, if you can manage it...Particularly with House
Dogs. Hope this helps.Barb Williams
http://www.SantanaGermanShepherds.com